Thursday, February 2, 2012

A tribute to My February Birthday Loves...

The month of February is filled with birthdays of the ones I hold most dear to my heart.... In my own celebratory spirit, I decided to pay tribute to these special people who will be gaining another year of life.

February 3.
The birth of my dear husband Rick Rhoads. Rick(y) and I have been married for four years. We were in the same graduating class of 1999 at Valhalla High School. Although we did not run in the same social circles, we always knew of each other. I can still picture him in his bright orange wrestling outfit walking the halls. I still give him a hard time about why he never came up to talk to me; but I guess he just admired me from afar. :) 
Eight years after high school, graduating college, dating other people, and settling into our careers as a teacher and pharmacist we were reintroduced through Rick's cousin. We ended up going on a blind double date with her and we've been together ever since.
I remember praying as a young teenager and adult for God to one day bring me a husband that would be more than I could have imagined. My prayers were answered... it took time, a lot of detours, tears, and lessons learned. I am blessed beyond measure to call this man husband, the father of my two boys, and my life partner. He truly gets better every day and I am amazed at his integrity, wisdom, patience, faithfulness, and determination. Perhaps the days we walked the halls of VHS, God was pruning both of us to be each other's mate and we needed that time of only being "aware of each other" so that one when we did reconnect we would be ready. I love you more and more as each day passes. 
Happy birthday Ricky Rhoads!

February 5. 
My sweet Grandma Marie Fry is by far the most funny, quick, and dependable grandmother. She lives in a small town in Oklahoma, so unfortunately I don't get to see her as often as I'd like. She has a faith in God so pure and beautiful. I can call her at any hour of the night and wake her and know she would be there to listen, laugh, or pray for me. Her prayers and encouragement have inspired me to increase my own faith and trust to get me through my most challenging times. I love you Grandma more than words can express. Happy birthday. 

February 7. 
The start of the Renaud kids. Nicole was only six months old when my mom became pregnant with me. Being only 15 months a part, we really haven't know life without the other. Nicole is smart, witty, stylish, wise, and hilarious. We have had some of the best moments of life together and some of the worst. We couldn't be anymore different, but together we are each other's voice of reason. We think we are the funniest people alive, even when others fail to agree. We have inside jokes that make us laugh hysterically and life experience that have given us both compassion for the hurting. There is no one I'd rather be with in a small town when our only entertainment is going to Walmart at midnight... there is no one I'd rather call when I feel silly or need to vent and then quickly follow up with "ok, I'll talk to you later." Thank you sister for being inspirational to so many areas of my life. You are truly one of a kind! Happy birthday.


February 20.
My life forever changed June 2009 when I read the word "Pregnant" on a digital test. I couldn't have been more excited when I found out I was having a boy during my 20 ultrasound on Oct. 5 and my heart never understood love the way it did until I delivered on a cold, rainy day on February 20. Landon was a small bundle of five pounds ( yes, I was full term) but had a presence about him that could fill a room with peace and comfort. Our journey together thus far as mother and son has been surrounded with laughter, hugs, kisses, smiles, and yes; many humbling moments. He truly loves life, finds humor in almost every situation, loves music, sings, and is at times very strong-willed. In my wildest dreams, I would have never imagined a little boy quite like him. I can't believe how fast time has flown by. He has made me a better person... a softer, more gentle, compassionate, and patient woman. He is my heart. I love you bubba. Happy 2nd Birthday!

1 comment:

  1. I love this Lauren. So sweet...thank you for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete